About Me

My Photo

I am a 26 year old Wife and Mother. I have been married for almost 8 years and I have 4 beautiful kids who keep me hopping and very busy!

PunchTab Achievement- footer

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Fels Naptha Review


This bar is an inexpensive way to remove stains in clothes. If you have the armpit stains or food fell on your shirt this product is simple to use!

     When I had my first son, I went all out and bought the expensive detergent and the expensive stain removers and all of the gadgets that went along with them. Now that I am now in the final weeks of baby #5 I am looking for inexpensive, quick and easy ways to get my kids' laundry clean.

I know that where I live I can buy this bar for right around $1 and it lasts for quite a while. I have also teamed up laundry detergent made with this bar to get those stains that i missed when pretreating their clothes.

Here is my own personal  recipe for my laundry soap. I have tweeked it to meet my households needs.

I personally make my own laundry soap and I have gotten 3 other family households using it as well. This recipe is really simple and is really only needed to be made about 1 time every 4-8 weeks,or longer, depending on how much laundry you do. There are soon to be 7 people in our household and I can go through the entire batch in about 4-6 weeks. I originally got my recipe for this laundry soap from the Duggars (19 kids and counting). The link to their recipe is HERE. I have since modified it to my household and you can do that to.
Ingredients:
1- Fels Naptha
1- Cup of Borax
1- Cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda!)
1- 5 Gallon Bucket and Lid
Hot Water

Directions:
-Take the Fels Naptha and grate it (i use a cheese grater only used for the Fels Naptha).
-You will need to have a pot of water (about 3/4 filled with water) on the stove. I usually put the heat on around medium. You want the water to be hot but not boiling.
-Once it is grated slowly add it to the pot of water on the stove and stir frequently to constantly until all the soap is dissolved in the water.
-You can (while waiting for the soap to dissolve) fill your 5 Gallon bucket half way with HOT water ( I just use my tap water). Then add the 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of the Washing Soda. Stir till dissolved.
-When the soap is dissolved pour into the 5 gallon bucket (with the borax and washing soda already dissolved) and stir.
-Finish filling the bucket with hot water and stir.
-Put the lid on tightly and let it sit overnight.
This is your concentrate.

The next day you will open the bucket and it will be in a huge glob. It will need to be mixed again. If you have the paint mixing extension for a drill you can use that. I use my arm because I don't have one. Lol
When it is all mixed up and no longer in a blob, it is time to put in an old detergent bottle or reusable container. It is suppose to be 1/2 concentrate and 1/2 water.
I put a little more soap in my container because I have too many kids and my husband drives a semi. They are dirty!!

This recipe yields 10 gallons if you do 1/2 concentrate and 1/2 water.

To use in the washer this is what the Duggars recommend:
Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

If you make your own laundry soap what is your recipe? If you have never made it before and this is your first time, How did you like it?

*I was given a sample of Fels Naptha in exchange for a product review. However, all the opinions expressed here are my own.*